Saturday, November 26, 2011

Are you a doctor???

A doctor without sympathy and compassion is not a doctor.

It makes a lot of difference to have a doctor that has compassion for what you are going through, be it small or big. Unfortunately, in this 'developing' country, some doctors think they are managing a mass production factory.

Sadly, I had to see Dr. Nhu again and she just had to ruin my day.

There has been a number of new young doctors at the IVF department at An Sinh Hospital. As usual, I gave my patient card to the nurse in Room 1 and was asked to wait outside. It was packed today. When my name was called, I was surprise to enter into the small room where 4 other ladies were waiting for their turn to get ultrasound. There were only 2 chairs. One lady was on the bed with Dr Nhu sticking the ultrasound in her vagina while 3 other ladies already in the hospital 'skirt' waiting. I was wearing a dress, so I just stood there waiting.

My thoughts were... Why can't you just finish with one patient and call in the next? Well, if you wanted to save some time, you can call in two.. not four!! You only have 2 chairs in the room! And the women have to change in front of each other! You can see their panties and pants hanging on the wall. Apparently, they just don't have the word 'privacy' in their vocabulary. The last time this happened, I saw someone else's vagina.

Dr. Nhu does the ultrasound and tells the other young doctor what to write. When she finishes with one patient, she calls out 'Next!'... I never liked this doctor from the first time I had to see her. I don't see her every visit since they have their rotations, but when I do, she is always so cold and expression-less.

I had to remove my underwear in front of a lady. I lie down and Dr. Nhu asked me what's my name coldly although I think she would have known me already by now. Then the awkwardness of something poked into my vagina. Goodness! She didn't use the cold gel as they normally do. It felt dry and painful because she did it so fast! I frowned and the pain showed on my face and all she could say is 'Please put your hips down!' twice. Where is your compassion, doctor! Do you have to be that rough? She had the ultrasound stick in me for 3 seconds and she removed it as quickly and said 'finish'! What the hell... I wonder what could she see in that 3 seconds.

I was asked to wait outside for my prescription. I waited for a long time. I was called into the room again and she just said my endometrium was still thin and I will have to take the same pills at a higher dosage.

Although it was only a short encounter with her, she ruined my day with her cold and rough attitude as a doctor. I felt so tired after the visit. I mean comeon.. as a doctor,  have some compassion for your patients! This is not like we're going through the usual cough or flu. These are women spending a lot of time, effort and money to get pregnant in a PRIVATE hospital.

I can't help it but shed tears when hubby ask how my visit went. My hormones were talking as I think I would normally be able to control my tears over things like this. This is not the first time I felt this way if you have been following my blog. Hubby thinks she doesn't deserve to become a doctor. Well, he's just saying that to comfort me.

Having a other half as a local doctor, I do understand why some doctors in this country cannot spend too much time with each patient. Doctors working in the public hospitals have to see maybe 200 patients a day and get paid about VND3 mil a month. That's only USD150! A doctor! Yes! Amazingly, this country pays their doctors and teachers peanuts. Of course with that kinda salary, they will of course have to work extras at private clinics after official hours at the hospital. Some have clinics at their own home from 5-9pm.

Even with a salary disadvantage, many yearns for their children to become doctors as it is honorable profession. I would to. But if you cannot sympathise with people, becoming a doctor would be such a pain.

Having compassion and being gentle is what made me attracted to my other half in the first place. And until now, my hubby's heart grows bigger and bigger each time he sees a need (not want) for his patients. Being a cosmetic surgeon, many come to him to have their looks changed, eventhough some are already beautiful. He learnt to say 'no' to unreasonable requests and gives honest consultations.

A handsome young man came to him wanting to change his look because he believed that his destiny and career development depended on it. A poor young woman wishes to alter her looks because she wasn't married. Hubby learnt to show them the beauty they already have and spending money on cosmetic surgeries when you are poor can make you poorer.

If you are a doctor, have compassion your patients. Not because they pay you but a doctor that has compassion makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment