Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2 weeks in Hanoi

This has been my longest trip back in Hanoi since I moved to Saigon. And it's winter time! The weather was perfect... Not too cold yet. I have always liked living in Hanoi and thought I would prefer Hanoi to Saigon but the truth is I have never truly 'lived' in Hanoi. It has always been about 'work'. Weekends was very often spent at the office. Friends consist of mainly colleagues. Housemates were colleagues. Conversations were always about work and office. Well, I guess now my preference has changed.

I had a good time to myself since the hubby is busy completing his thesis and meeting professors after professors. I spent my time going to yoga & pilates every other day. Did some acupunture sessions with Ms. Thuy at Yakushi Center. Had 2 good massages there as well. Very good business there.. Had 6 hair washes at different salons ranging from 50k-150k.. just trying to experiment their services and to my disappointment the cheapest salon actually gave me the best service! and she looked surprised when I tried to tip her. Well, apparently people do not tip so much in Hanoi as compared to Saigon.  Watched a French movie at Vincom and has countless number of hot lattes... feels so good to have a warm coffee in my hands during winter..

Had a great time on Christmas eve touring Hanoi with some ex-colleagues as if we are tourists... Visited the places I have brought visitors who came to visit me...went to the Temple of Literature and met the 3 Ly Kings (statue of cos), Saint Joseph Cathedral and saw beautiful Christmas story carved on the walls, had a delicious meal at the famous Bun Cha Hang Manh, told the story of the returned sword again at Hoan Kiem lake, had coffee while overlooking the beautiful lake, and typical hotpot at Truc Back lake like a Vietnamese on the floor.

Some changes since two years back:
- Airport taxis charges almost double. Used to pay VND160k, now it's VND315k... wah lau...
- The hairdresser & waxist at my regular salon (Hair Workshop at Hanoi Tower) has left to open their own shops now.. and Hair Workshop looks totally revamped
- My favourite pho stall has turned into a hair salon
- Xe om to Tay Ho now costs double as well...
- Hoan Kiem lake looks cleaner now after a cleanup by the goverment



Best view of Hoan Kiem Lake
   


Thien Quang Lake
 


Walls at St. Joseph's Cathedral (can u see my name??)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment